Lighthouse: Offer Wadham Island

1858 (Robert Oke). Inactive since early 1990s (?). 12 m (40 ft) (?) octagonal cylindrical tower, brick and stone encased in concrete. Lantern removed. Active light on a 6 m (20 ft) square cylindrical steel skeletal tower (focal plane 30.5 m (100 ft); white flash every 3 s). The tower was encased first in cast iron; the concrete was added in 1961. Located on a small island between Fogo Island and Musgrave Harbour, in the entrance to Hamilton Sound. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Site manager: Canadian Coast Guard. Notmar 396; ARLHS CAN-696; Admiralty H0584; NGA 1440.

Managing Organization: Canadian Coast Guard

Notes: This lighthouse was replaced as an aid to navigation by an automated light on a skeleton tower. The lighthouse was originally built of brick and stone and was later encased in cast iron; in 1961 the tower was encased in concrete.

Description of Tower: Octagonal concrete tower, lantern removed.

This light is not operational

Date Established: 1858

Date Present Tower Built: 1858

Current Use: Unknown.

Open To Public? Grounds only.

Directions: Accessible only by private boat or helicopter.

Thomas Hennessey
Edward Reddy
Charles Prowse (1862-?)
Elias Abbott
Stephen Abbott
William Pomeroy
James F. Mouland
Arch Way
During the Second World War, keepers were Walter Hicks and Herbert Abbott.


Get the latest information on Greenspond Historical Society news, projects, funding, volunteer opportunities, and more!