Lloyd Hann: Diary of his Trip to the Seal Hunt on Board the SS Imogene, 1934

1934 DIARY (SEAL HUNT) By Lloyd G. Hann

Lloyd Hann

February 23, 1934
Left home with Elijah Mullett and Len Warfield to walk to Gambo.  Put my sleigh and two suitcases on Mr. Mullett’s horse, and Cluney Blackwood towed me on his dogsled as far as Southwest Arm, about eight miles.  I then got onto the horse and drove across one pond, and again walked to halfway camp (six miles) and had lunch 1 p.m.  We then left and walked and drove to Indian Bay and had lunch again in lumbermen’s camp 4 p.m.  We left Indian Bay and walked over to Trinity (long hard walk).  We got to Trinity 6 p.m. and stayed all night to Mr. Phil Brown’s (slept on floor all night, cold).

February 24
We left Trinity 7:15 a.m.  Caught mailman Mr. Collins and went as far as Hare Bay.  Stayed there two hours, left again on horse and got to Gambo 5:30, stopping on the way at Mr. Pritchett’s, Dark Cove, for lunch.  Wired Mom from Gambo, then went to Mr. Jim Kelly’s, had lunch and chat.  Bought our ticket for St. John’s, took the train.
11:25 Saturday night, arrived in St. John’s.
8:30 Sunday morning, took taxi and drove to 49 Cochrane Street (F. J. Hann), had breakfast and went to bed 11 a.m.  Had dinner in bed and got up 4 p.m.  Had tea and listened to Wesley Church and went to bed again 9 p.m.

Next morning
Got up 9 a.m., tidied up a bit and went out 12 p.m. and got my hair cut at Carnell’s.  Walked around the street a bit and got back to dinner at Edna’s.  After dinner, pressed pants and ties (?), then went to the General Post Office and sent postcard to Mom.  Met Alicia at her office and had chat with her.  Went from post office to Aunt Martha’s, had a long chat there, met Shirley, went from Aunt Martha’s to Aunty Flo’s and stayed there to tea.  Met Aunty Jen, Gert and Uncle Edgar.  Left there 10 p.m. and got back to Edna’s for the night.  Edna, Fred and Golda were playing bridge.

Next morning
Didn’t go out until 12 p.m., then walked up to Bowring Brothers and went on board of the Imogene and had a look around.  Went from there to GPO, waited for Alicia and went to dinner with her.  After dinner went down to Fred’s and got invoice papers, etc., for radio parts.  We then went down to Fred’s office at Marine Agencies, went from there to Cashin and Company with Fred.  Went from there to railway shed and put radio package in dry place.  Went from there to some store and bought magazine Popular Science, then back over and went to Fred’s office again.  From there, went to Edna’s to tea.  During tea the lights went out, and we had to eat tea by the light of a flashlight.  After tea I went to a double-header hockey match at Prince’s Rink.  The teams were Carbonear vs. Brigus.  Brigus team very fast, their score was 10, Carbonear team slow, score 2.  Next game was Bell Island vs. Harbour Grace.  Both teams very fast.  Score Bell Island 1, Harbour Grace 2.  Game finished 10:30.  Then went back to Edna’s for the night.  Fred is gone to a bridge party and Edna is serving, and Golda is talking to her young man, returned midnight.

Next morning
Left and went to post office, then went to Ayre and Sons radio department and saw Mr. Bernt, the radiotrician.  Then I went to some other store and bought Pepsodent antiseptic and package of Blue Blades and razor strop, then came back to Edna’s to dinner.  After dinner, washed and went down aboard Imogene and Ranger, then went to dry dock and aboard of SS Beothic.  Mr. Warfield showed me through his and introduced me to Mr. Cook (Chief), Boss.  After that, had a look around the dock (Kyle in dock).  Then I went to Waterford Bridge Road and had tea with Captain W. B. Kean.  His radio was out of commission and I fixed it. (thank you)  After tea I left with Abram and took street car and came back to Edna’s.

Next morning
Got up fairly early and wrote a letter to Mom and left Edna’s 11:20 and went to Aunty Flo’s, and found out that the sealing train had arrived at 10 a.m.  I then rushed off for Bowring’s, where the Imogene was berthed, and everything was like a beehive, men going here and there with their bunks and bags.  Went for to get berth I had in view, but found out it was taken.  I then went up to the dock to see if Clifford was on board of the Beothic.  I didn’t find him, and came back to Imogene again and got a berth in stateroom with Ralph Roberts.  I then went up to Ayre and Sons with Edward Blackwood and them came back to Aunty Flo’s to dinner.  After dinner, finished Mom’s letter and went to Edna’s and told her the sealers were arrived, and then went out to post my letter and look for Cliff.  Went on board of Imogene for a while, and met Cliff on Water Street and heard from home.  Met several fellows from home this evening.  Came back to Edna’s about 4 o’clock, had a bath.  Went up aboard of Imogene just before tea and met Captain Blackwood.  Charlie and Alicia and Shirley and others got home to tea at Edna’s.  After tea, started writing letter to Betty, and went up to Aunty Flo’s 8:30 and met Cliff again.  Stayed to Aunty Flo’s until 9:20 p.m. and then went on board of Imogene and had a look around, and got back to Edna’s at 10:45 p.m.

Next morning
Went down aboard of Imogene and got my ticket from the captain and went and signed on for the seal fishery in the Imogene, about 10:45 a.m.  After signing on, I went up on board of Beothic and got my boots and knapsack and again went back to Imogene, and then went back to Edna’s to dinner.  After dinner, went downtown and met Job Barbour and had a talk with him.  Met several fellows that I knew.  Everything very busy today around Bowring’s, sealers signing on and getting their crop.  While I was aboard Imogene today, a fire broke out in Bowring’s provisions store.  Two fire engines were on the scene, and there was quite a bit of excitement for a time, but it was soon put out.  A man fell overboard on Bowring’s wharf today, and Edward and Charlie Blackwood fetched him out.  Edward broke his watch strap in doing so, and I took it up to Ayre and Sons to get it fixed for him.  Met Bill Wornell this evening and had a walk with him.  Went aboard of Imogene again and fixed up my berth, then came back to Edna’s to tea.  I had a phone call from Cliff to meet him on Water Street because he had a letter for me.  I left and went up to where he was staying, and we both came down to Edna’s, and Cliff stayed here all night.

This is to certify that Lloyd Hann has a berth in SS Imogene, A.L Blackwood. March 1934

Monday, March 5
Got up this morning and finished writing a letter to Betty, then went downtown and aboard of Imogene, then went up to Bank of Nova Scotia and got some money, then went to post office and posted letter, then went to Bowring’s and had suit of oilclothes, Cape Ann and long rubbers, brought it on board of Imogene and went back to Edna’s for dinner.  After dinner, went out to Aunty Flo’s and took the radio tubes belonging to her radio to Ayre and Sons to get tested and had a chat with Mr. Bernt, radiotrician.  Left again and went to McMurdo’s and got iodine and Radway’s, and leather and sparbils at Neyle Soper Hardware.  Then went back to Ayres to get the tubes, but they weren’t ready, so I went to Aunty Flo’s and Edna’s.  Then went back to Ayres and got the tubes, one was a bit weak, then took them to Aunty Flo’s and installed them and stayed there to tea.  Then came back to Edna’s, phoned Alicia and she was out, and then started writing to Mom.

Tuesday, March 6
Went and saw Neta, then went and visited Daisy.  Brought my suitcase down aboard and got things fixed up a bit.  Cliff went to tea with me, and we both planned to go to the Nickel, but Cliff went back to Edna’s for something and I missed him.  I went myself and found out later that Cliff was there also.  After that I went down on board of Imogene for the night after having seen all my aunts and cousins.  Missed my belt and went back to Edna’s to see if I could find it.  I then stayed and had supper.  Got back to Imogene about 2 a.m. and turned in.

Wednesday, March 7
Got up next morning at 7 o’clock.  Everything was soon in a rush, crowds gathering to see the ships off.  Ranger was first to move out, followed by Beothic, Neptune, Eagle, etc.  When Imogene blew her siren, the steam pipe leading to the whistle burst and a new one had to be replaced.  This delayed us for three hours.  We left St. John’s 10:45, three hours behind the other ships, and soon we were making 12 – 13 knots (water smooth).  Before dinner we had the wooden ship passed and also Ungava.  We continued on a NNE course, and by 4:30 p.m. we had the Beothic in sight, and passed her at 6:30.  Everything going okay, driving on at full speed.  Struck first ice at 9:15 p.m.  Ice level, large sheets, driving on through it, making good progress all night through heavy ice.

Thursday, March 8
Fine, but visibility becoming poor towards evening.  Ice very tough, large sheets.  Sometimes we are butting and other times going on steady and following lakes of water.  Saw scattered old hood before dinner.  Just before dinner the ship forced into heavy ice and got stuck, and was freed with one blast.  Saw hoods ahead after dinner and ship got stuck again.  Blast failed to free her, and men got out with their pike poles, and after several blasts the ship was free.  From now, 2:30 p.m., hoods are seen plentiful on large sheet ice.  Ship making good progress and passing Hoods Land.  Scattered harps quite near.  The smoke of three ships is seen about 16 or 18 miles to westward.  Ship got stuck again about 8 p.m. and was again freed with blasts and pike poles about 9 p.m.  All the rest of the night making good progress.  Beothic’s light seen far to westward.

Friday, March 9
Ship making good progress through heavy loose ice.  Got up early but turned in again, when Mr. John Cook came and called me and told me to go to work in the pantry, serving and washing dishes.  He called me in his room, gave me a note for chief steward, and sent me in pantry to work.  Ship going through heavy pinnacle ice, making good progress, no butting.  Beothic and another ship’s smoke in sight in morning, but was soon lost sight of as the day advanced.  Scattered old hood.  Was down in engine room today looking at engine and machinery.  Men today are binding on flags and fixing up booms, etc.  Everything going well.  35 miles from Grey Islands, 8 p.m., making good progress.  Steaming through ice all night.

Saturday, March 10
Got up 5:30 a.m.  Very cold, and low drift on ice, scattered snow flurries.  Ice tight, but ship making fair progress.  11 a.m. ice began to rafter, and ship got stuck.  Ice raftered almost up to rail.  When rafter began to slack, men got out with blasts and poles and after an hour the ship was again free.  Ice then began to slacken and ship making good progress all day.  Scattered old harp to be seen.   Turning NNE.  I was working in pantry all day and cleaning saloon and rooms.  No other ship in sight, making good progress all night.

Sunday, March 11
Butting heavy sheet ice all the morning.  Sighted large patch of seals, southern patch from barrel and making good progress toward them.  Sighted one whitecoat 12 p.m. and stopped and took it on board alive.  First one for the spring.  Ship then got stuck, and after a few blasts was again free.  Didn’t stop any more before we burned down in whitecoats about 4:30 p.m.  Seals plentiful, as far as eye can see, whitecoats small.  Was relieved today from pantry, now working there on part time.  Felt a bit stomach sick this morning, but it passed off toward evening.  Attended the service of worship held in mess room by sealers 6:30.  Ship now burnt down in whitecoats.

Monday, March 12
Fine and fair in morning and everyone preparing for the kill tomorrow, grinding knives.  Got my knife, etc., and went on ice and killed five whitecoats and pelted them and brought aboard for meal.  After that, got my knife ground and everything in readiness for the kill.  In the evening it came on stormy and cold, but cleared away toward night.

Tuesday, March 13
Got up 3:45 a.m., dressed for to go on ice, got over side of ship 4:30 (dark).  Beothic and Ungava in sight, hard butting.  Went wrong direction first and had to cross steamer’s wake, and then walked for about hour and half, stuck up flag and began to pelt seals.  Martin Blackwood was my guardian.  Harold Stanford was with us.  It was very bitter cold, high wind condition, with low drift on ice.  Men going to ice for over 40 springs never felt so cold in their life.  Too cold to pelt seals, hands would freeze if not careful.  Martin got 22 on pan, I got 18, Stanford got 4.  We then stopped and tried to keep warm.  Most all other men were trying to get shelter behind pinnacles, which were very few.  Master watch gathered all men together and began to walk for steamer.  We were walking for hours, taking shelter when we could and running and beating ourselves.  Finally we got aboard 12 p.m., with several men suffering severely with frostburns.  We then had dinner and went off “doubling pans” (hauling seals together) and got aboard again 4:30.  More than a dozen men were laid up with frostburns.  I managed to survive.  When we got aboard we heard the sad news of two men from Neptune being blown up with a blast, and asking for assistance.  We were unable to render any.  Beothic and Ungava were in sight in morning, both butting ice together and gained about two miles.  Picked up most of our pans and [recovered around 500]. [or is this 7500?]

Wednesday, March 14
Clear and somewhat milder.  Everyone out early, hauling seals together when ship could pick them up.  About 7:30 it came on to snow and continued to get worse, then the ship’s siren blew for all men to get together, and all men worked near the ship.  It cleared up again before 12 p.m., and all men were out again until 5 o’clock, had lunch and went off short distance for a small patch of seals.  Got aboard 6:45 picking up pans that they could reach, then ship burnt down.  Neptune within mile and a half of us.  Ungava and Beothic two and a half miles away.  Ice very heavy and tight.  Worked very hard today.

Thursday, March 15
My birthday, 19 years old today.  Had breakfast early this morning and went on ice hauling seals.  Doubled and trebled all of our pans and hauled a tow aboard.  After we were on ice about an hour this morning, a raging blizzard came on, so thick you could hardly see 10 yards.  Everything was lost to view.  Ship blew her whistle for all men to gather, but blizzard cleared up as quick as it came.  Got most all pans aboard before dinner, left eight that were too far away.  Ungava, Beothic, Neptune about a mile and a half away.  Eagle and Terra Nova in sight.  Ice very heavy.  Where the Imogene is, it’s just like a frozen ocean, large level sheets, very thick and miles long and raftered up in places.  Ship got to “tread down” all the ice bound too tight to split.  10 a.m. when all seals were on board, ship was turned to look for the northern patch, steering NE, ran the other ship and out of sight before dark, and burned down for the night.  Our engineers find it very hard to keep up steam because the coal is no good.  Cut my birthday cake today and treated all of my chums.  Gave Mr. Cook, Captain Blackwood and [Tailor] some, and after chat with boys, turned in.

Friday, March 16
Started steaming early in morning, following lakes of water and butting heavy sheets.  No other ships in sight.  Ungava smoke can be seen low on horizon.  Passed several old seals, and 3 o’clock sighted whitecoats.  Got over side at 4 and got aboard 5:45 with about 12 or 15 whitecoats, very large.  Burnt down 8 p.m. all night for the heart of northern patch.  Sculped 10 seals this evening.

Saturday, March 17
Got up early this morning and prepared for the day’s kill.  Ice is very heavy, large level sheets for over a mile long and raftered between.  Got out 6:45 a.m. and walked for three hours, then stuck a flag and panned some seals.  Seals were scattered.  Put about 60 on one pan, then walked about mile and a half and stuck another flag and panned another such lot.  Then we all got together and walked toward ship, about five miles away.  Got on board about 5:45 p.m.  About 9:30 a.m. it came in thick fog and everything was lost to view, but it cleared up again after a while, estimated panned today 11,000, ship burned down 8 p.m.

Sunday, March 18
Stayed in until 8 a.m.  It being Sunday, I thought we would have a rest, but when I got up the men were out on ice hauling seals.  Martin Blackwood stayed in, and I stayed aboard all day also, and recognized Sunday, despite the criticism and jeers thrown at me.  It was a fine day and not very cold.  Got aboard about 7,000 seals today, and 80 flags still out.  Four other ships in sight, Eagle, Ungava, Neptune, Beothic, just can see her smoke.  15,000 now on board and about 5,000 on ice.  Burned down 6:30 p.m. in good patch of whitecoats.  (Barometer falling)  All crew aboard 6:00 p.m. and held service of worship 7 p.m. in mess room.

Monday, March 19
Got up before dawn, had breakfast and got ready to go on ice, left ship just about dawn all set for the day’s work.  We walked and walked and didn’t see any seals.  All watches got together and turned towards ship again.  The morning was very dirty and wet, all men had their oil clothes on.  On our way back we saw scattered seals, and the men widened out and began putting down flags.  We were one of the last gangs to stick our flag, after walking for almost four hours.  Martin and myself started panning and got 120 seals between us.  Toward noon it cleared away fine but didn’t last long, then it came on to snow and drift, and ship was lost from view.  Suddenly a raging blizzard sprang up and I lost sight of everything.  I didn’t know where Martin was, although he was only about 15 yards from me.  You could barely see five feet.  I couldn’t see our flag, so I just stayed in one position and waited and shouted until the snow lightened and I saw Martin.  I then got to him, and bye and bye we saw our flag and got to it, but of course, there was no shelter.  Anyway, we made the best of it and started in the direction in which we thought the ship lay.  We came to a lake of water and couldn’t get across.  While we were trying, our master watch, D. Andrews, came in sight with about 20 men.  We then all set out for the ship and were successful in locating her, although we had a very hard walk, snow over our knees.  When we got aboard we were very tired.  The ship siren was continually going off and on because there were several men not aboard.  Finally they were all on board except four, and what an anxious time looking for them.  Finally we located them and they were safely taken on board.  Experienced men said it was the worst storm they were ever out in.  As the evening advanced, the wind shifted to westerly and became bitter cold.  Panned about 7,000 today, got to walk very long way for them.  Ship burned down 7:30 p.m.

Tuesday, March 20
Got up 4:45 a.m., had breakfast and left ship before sunrise.  Walked for almost two hours, dropping men as we went.  The morning was fine and clear, but cold, becoming milder towards noon and colder again towards evening.  Seals plentiful in spots.  Beothic’s men walked along by our watch and turned back again.  Ungava, Beothic, Imogene within mile of each other.  I was talking to Beothic’s men and inquired about Cliff.  We had a hard day’s work and left to walk about 4 p.m., got aboard shortly after 5 p.m.  Crew hauls for 13,500 panned today.  Steamed down along by Ungava and burned down 8:30 p.m.  All crew aboard and well.

Wednesday, March 21
Got up 4:20 a.m., had breakfast 4:30, got ready and went on ice before sunrise 5:30 a.m.  We walked on and on for hours over all sorts of ice, good and bad, crossed the Neptune’s men and turned farther north and walked on and on again, coming to lakes of water, getting across by putting down flags, etc. and sometimes walking on ice that buckled underfoot.  After three hours walking we stopped and looked around.  Couldn’t see any sign of seals, so walked on and on again.  Finally the master watch decided to walk towards ship.  We walked and came to a lake of water about 60 feet wide at narrowest part and couldn’t get across, so we had to walk almost two miles before we got around it.  After this we had considerable trouble in crossing lakes of water.  Sometimes we would paddle across on pans of ice, other times we would get small pans, bring them and throw them in water and copy across.  We were almost half hour getting across one rent, and when we got across we found we were on a large sheet surrounded by water and couldn’t get back.  Finally, when all ice went together, we got across and got to ship 1:45 p.m., over eight hours walking and never got one seal.  We then had dinner and went out again, hauling seals to ship.  Finished 7:15 p.m.  Other watch of crew panned 6,000 today.  Steamed close along by Neptune 8:00 p.m., sang out to some men, and steamed off towards Eagle and Beothic.  Fine and clear today, sun very powerful, no wind, hard day on eyes, several blind (37).  Ship steaming all night.

Thursday, March 22
Got up before sunrise and went on ice about 6:15 a.m.  After we were gone about 10 minutes the whistle blew for us to come aboard, and then we started quintering until 10 a.m.  Got on board, had lunch and went on ice again 11 a.m.  Most of crew panning seals and the rest doubling pans.  Very cold today, second coldest for spring.  Panned 6,000 today, 22,000 on board, 28,000 on ice.  Burned down for night about 8 p.m.

Friday, March 23
Got up 4:45 a.m., had breakfast and went on ice about 6 a.m.  The morning was fine but threatening, and sure enough, about 8 a.m. it started to snow, light at first but gradually becoming thicker, until it was very dirty. You could scarcely see 50 yards.  All men began to get together and picked out a good pinnacle or rafter to take shelter behind.  When all was together and every minute expecting to see or hear steamer, the sirens of Ungava and other ships could be heard in the distance, but the Imogene couldn’t be seen or heard.  Some were saying that her siren was burst, and others were saying that she was blowing and couldn’t be heard.  The weather was mild, and the blinding snow would stick on and melt, and everyone was wet to skin.  All the men were in a group together, packing the ice with their gaffs to keep themselves warm.  Then the men picked out a level sheet of ice behind a rafter and started a dance.  In a time like that every man wants to keep on the move to try to keep warm.  Suddenly, the Imogene’s power siren was heard and all the men answered with three hearty cheers.  Finally she came in sight, and again three cheers, and we were soon all safe on board.  We then found what delayed the ship.  She got stuck in a rafter and was a long time getting clear.  Plenty work on board, stowing seals, and picking up pans in evening along by side of lake.  Panned 2,000 this morning.  Very dirty again in evening, becoming clear and colder towards night.  Burned down 6:30 p.m.  Storm came on again 9 o’clock and continued with increased velocity all through the night, until it became a raging storm.  It was so thick that you couldn’t see half the length of ship, and the temperature was very cold.  The storm reached its height about 3 a.m.

Saturday, March 24
After 7 a.m. the storm abated.  Toward 11:30 a.m. we had dinner and it was clear enough to leave ship and go for our nearest pans.  We worked all the evening and got most all of our pans on board before 6 o’clock.  It was now quite clear, and we were going to try and get to more pans before dark, but the ice began to rafter and ship got jammed.  Was free after several blasts, and got stuck again.  We then waited for ice to slacken.  Night very clear and fine.  Steaming most all the night, picked up some pans.

Sunday, March 25
Morning clear and fine.  Steaming up to our flags, passed Neptune picking up pans.  All day I stayed aboard.  It came on to snow about 1 p.m., snowing all evening, not blowing very hard, mild.  Had searchlight on most all night, picking up pans.  Getting close to Ungava and other ships.  Ice began to break up today, slight swell getting in ice.  Men held service again tonight.  I went over to 4th engineer’s room, Charles [Lowney? Learning?] and exchanged some magazines with him.

Monday, March 26
Morning fine and clear, a bit cold.  All hands out doubling pans in line for steamer picking up.  Ice broken up in large and small sheets, ship can get about well now.  Went up to one pan of seals, Neptune’s flag was on pan and seven pelts marked N.  Overhauled top seals and found all rest of seals, about 130, marked IM for Imogene, flag just stuck on top of seals.  Several other pans in vicinity gone, marks left on ice where seals were.  Three of our men then left and walked aboard Thetis because she was in our line of flags.  When they came aboard they reported some of our pans broken into and seals in water.  Picked up several of our pans today.  Got very near to getting a ducking twice today, once by falling into a rent one leg, and another time by getting aboard, the pan on which I was standing turned over, I happened to have hold on the sidestick.  Towards 6 o’clock we left and steamed up towards Thetis and to guard our flags.  We went up to several of the Thetis’s flags and found our marked seals on pans.  One pan had 300 pelts on it marked IM, and Thetis flag on pan.  Several of our flags are missing.  Night fine and clear, bright moon, picking up pans all night.  Came across three pans with Beothic flag and Imogene seals.

Tuesday, March 27
Got out early morning, doubling pans all day.  On board for meals.  Ice loose and tight.  Weather fine in morning and becoming dull in evening and threatening snow.  Got aboard 6:15 p.m.  Thetis taking our pan while we were watching her, she was jammed most all day.  Imogene going about picking up pans.  Put torch lights on double pans in evening and started to pick them up, when 7:30 p.m. Captain Blackwood received message from Captain Kean of Beothic saying that his men out on ice and couldn’t get to ship and asking for assistance.  Imogene then headed for marooned men and was soon smashing her way towards them, reaching them about 8:30 p.m.  Took them aboard and transferred them to their own ship.  Clifford was among the men and was first aboard of Imogene.  I had him to my room and had a talk with him.  He said they were out since 5 a.m.  He is feeling fine and told me to write Mom if I got in first, and tell her he was feeling fine.  I gave him the letter I got for him the last morning I was in St. John’s from Mother.  He was delighted.  After transferring men to Beothic, Imogene then turned towards her own pans again.  It is wonderful to see how the Imogene rips open the large sheets and smashes her way through. We have now about 40,000 on board, 12,000 on ice.  Snow storm came on very thick 10 o’clock, ship then burned down for night.

Wednesday, March 28
Snowstorm, turned to rain.  Ship got underway dawn and started picking up pans.  Two watch crews stayed on board and two went on ice (I went on ice).  Ice was very bad today, wet and slushy and rotten, several men fell in.  I was lucky enough to escape.  The two watches that went on ice were doubling pans.  Got on board 2:30 p.m. and stayed working aboard for rest of day.  Got first flipper for my barrel today.  Took about 1,000 fresh seals today.  The weather was very wet in morning, but became clear and colder towards evening.  Ship getting well down in water now, deeper than she was last year with 55,000.  Ship has lot of coal aboard.  Sky is overcast tonight, and milder.

Thursday, March 29
Got up 4:45 a.m. and had lunch.  Very foggy, unable to see any flags, quintering all the morning.  Fog lightened a bit 12 p.m. and we saw some of Eagle’s flags and passed them.  It still got clearer, and finally we came across our own flags and commenced taking them aboard and doubling them.  Ice very dangerous.  Rent snowed over and looks like solid ice.  Several men fell in water.  Quite a lot of our pans are missing, signs left where someone has been taking them.  Beothic, Thetis, Neptune in sight.  The evening was ideal, clear, etc.  Heard news from Thetis, shaft broken.  Ship burnt down until dawn.

Good Friday, March 30
Morning fine.  Ship got underway at dawn and started to look for flags, and quintering.  Our doctor received a call from Ungava stating there was a sick man on board that needed a slight operation.  We then proceeded towards Ungava and Ungava came towards us.  Our doctor got out on ice and walked aboard, with more men accompanying him.  After he was aboard a while, the Ungava’s captain (Carter) informed us the doctor would be about an hour, so we stood by the Ungava until he was ready.  We were glad to hear the doctor was successful with operation.  The two ships were close together and the men were talking to fellows they knew.  I was speaking to Leonard Winsor.  After the doctor got aboard of Imogene again, we then proceeded on looking for our other flags.  97 still out, and 47,000 pelts stowed down.  Got about 500 seals today, quintering.  Slight swell in ice, beautiful night, clear and moonlight.

Saturday, March 31
Got up 4:45 a.m., had breakfast 5 a.m. and was all ready to jump out at the command.  Ice gone together tight again.  Ship making very good progress in morning.  Jumping out sometimes, getting scattered seals.  Ice still got tighter and ship got stuck, but was again freed, with some difficulty.  Managed to keep free for rest of day, ice began to get loose in evening.  Secured 600 seals today.  Weather fair and cold.  Terra Nova about two miles away, Beothic and Neptune in sight, Eagle boarded up for St. John’s.

Easter Sunday, April 1
Morning beautiful, clear and cloudless sky.  Edward Blackwood rushed in room 4:45 a.m. and said all hands out to haul up a pan of seals, but we knew it was April Fool’s day, so we didn’t get up.  Then someone else came in and said come out and see the water bear, but we weren’t to be fooled.  Anyway, we got up 5:30 a.m. because fellows were coming in disturbing us.  Ship was steaming along at a good rate, passing through scattered seals and several of Beothic’s flags.  Beothic was about eight miles from us.  There was a slight swell in ice today, calming down towards evening.  Eagle in sight, forcing her way south.  Ship burned down 9 a.m. in scattered seals.  Edward and myself got out on ice and took some snapshots.  Captain and doctor also took some snaps.  Doctor, Mr. Cook and chief engineer went out on ice for a walk, several others were out, all crew having a rest today.  Services were held in the mess room tonight.  Beothic steamed close along by us tonight 8 p.m., putting torch lights on her panned seals and picking them up.  Fine clear night.

Monday, April 2
Got up 4 a.m. and had breakfast 4:15 a.m. and prepared for killing seals that we saw Sunday.  When daylight came, all the seals that we had previously seen were gone in water, and a heavy swell was in the ice, making it very loose and dangerous.  We dropped a few men at a time and got the dories ready for to get the seals in the water.  Finally, we were almost all out on ice and found the seals very scattered and wild.  Beothic was close to us, picking up her pans and getting scattered seals.  Neptune and Ungava were also in sight.  It was very dangerous getting over, and I was near to falling in water once or twice.  I would always keep close to Uncle Martin, my buddy on ice.  We were going after some seals on a pan.  I jumped across first and killed one, when I heard Martin cry out.  I looked and saw him falling backwards in water.  I rushed and got him out with some difficulty.  He went down to his head.  He then took off his boots, socks, etc., wrung them out and waited for the ship, which was not far away.  We got aboard half an hour after, none the worse for our experience.  We were glad to hear when we got aboard that we had the record of whitecoats on board (over 50,000), 2,400 of which we secured today.  Got 300 in dory.  6 o’clock our captain received message telling him to board up and take the Thetis in tow if he thought fit, and be in St. John’s by Monday.  All hands then gathered on deck and gave three cheers for record trip.  I then went on bridge and congratulated captain on his success.  The captain then treated several of the men with lemonade, etc., and everyone was in high spirits.  Sent a message home tonight stating that we had 50,000 on board and all well.

Tuesday, April 3
Beautiful sunrise, promising a very fine day, which turned out to be one of the best for the spring.  Picked up three pans and steamed on, looking for seals and quintering.  Seals very scattered.  Ice loose, and swell gone back considerably.  Passed along by Neptune in morning and Ungava in evening, Terra Nova in night.  We came across one pan of seals, 32, belonging to Beothic and stopped by pan, and Captain Blackwood asked Captain Kean by wireless if he could take them, it being the only pan in sight.  Captain Kean replied yes.  Later we sighted the Beothic, then the Thetis.  We steamed all day until 4:30 looking for seals and got about 200, then the captain (?) ship came for the Thetis, to take her in tow for St. John’s, her shaft being broken.  5 p.m. thick fog came in, and we reached the Thetis 6 p.m. and took her in tow, Captain Cyrus Taylor arranging the towing process.  He well knew his work, and things were soon in order, Imogene making very good progress with her tow.  The Thetis was alongside of an iceberg, the first one we were near for the spring.  Ship slowed down 7 p.m. for the night, towing being difficult in the night.

Wednesday, April 4
Started towing Thetis at daylight.  Weather very foggy.  Was towing Thetis along very good, when the cable broke and ship had to go back and make fast again.  We then towed for about an hour, when the cable again broke.  We were quite a long time then before we had the cable spliced.  The towing tackle used consisted of two 1 1/4 inch and one 3 inch wire cable and 40 fathoms of Thetis chain.  Commenced towing then at half speed so as the cable wouldn’t break.  We were towing all day, making five and six knots, in loose sheet ice, when suddenly the chain to which the cables were shackled snapped with the report of a gun, the cause being a heavy pan getting across the bow of the Thetis 6 p.m.  Ship then stopped, and the men began the task of again splicing the cable for towing operations tomorrow, it being too late to start towing any more today.  The ship was washed down thoroughly today from her barricade deck to her stern, and everything cleared away for when we reach port.  The ice that we passed through today was a level as the floor of a house, in large and small sheets.  Very foggy all day.  Our position at 12 p.m. today was 125 miles ESE of Cape Bonavista, approximately 150 miles from St. John’s.

Thursday, April 5
Weather very foggy.  Started towing Thetis 5:45 a.m. with two steel cables, one 3 inch and the other 4 inch, and two of the Thetis’s chains.  Our ship was only towing half speed for fear of breaking the cables.  The ice began to get thinner and looser as we went southern, and frequently we would be steaming in clear water for perhaps a mile or more.  We could tow Thetis eight knots at half speed in water.  It was very foggy all day and commenced to rain in the evening.  Ship burned down 3 p.m. because it was too late to make port this evening and the ice was getting thin, and the captain was afraid to make in on land with another ship in tow.  So we slipped the cable holding the Thetis, and each ship drifted with the ice all night.  We were all very busy today, cleaning up the various rooms, the paint and brass work for to make the ship presentable after the spring work.  I washed my overalls out today and dried them and got things fixed up a bit.  The rain came down in torrents late in the evening, but held up again 9 p.m.  We received news from SS Neptune that she was 25 miles ESE of Baccalieu in strings of loose ice and leaking very badly.  Our position when we burned down was 40 miles ESE of Baccalieu.  The fog cleared up somewhat about 9 p.m.  Our ship drove down near the Thetis, so she was started up and steamed away a safe distance.

Friday, April 6
Very foggy this morning.  No sign of Thetis anywhere.  We had to steam around blowing our siren, trying to locate her.  Finally we saw her and steamed alongside.  They had their dory out already to make fast the cable, but the captain decided to let ship stay just where she was, owing to the dense fog.  The ship is now 40 odd miles from St. John’s.  Both ships were close to each other, drifting with wind and tide.  Sometimes the fog would be so thick that the Thetis would be lost to view.  When the ships would drift together, we would steam away again for a short distance.  We were all in high hopes of getting in port today, but now we just have to wait for a favourable time.  The boatswain was around today collecting all the gaffs and hauling ropes, seal killing being over for the spring as far as the Imogene crew are concerned.  Time seems to pass slowly today, owing to being burned down all day.  I got a good wash and shave today because we are expecting to reach port tomorrow.  Most everyone on board now is trying to find someone to cut their hair.  I went to the Marconi room this evening to get some writing paper to write a letter to Mother, but stayed there quite a while reading the comic papers the operator had there.  There is no sense in writing a letter aboard ship, because someone is always interrupting you.  The fog began to lighten 3:30 p.m. and sun shone out for a while, promising a fine day tomorrow.  Captain Taylor says he’ll make in somewhere tomorrow.  Wind today NE.  Fog came in dense again 5 p.m.  Received news from Beothic that there were six gunners out shooting old seals today.  Later we received news stating that she had killed 2,121 seals.  I got Stewart Hill tonight to cut my hair, and I washed my body and hair.  We are now 30 miles from St. John’s.  The night is clear and starlight.  Thetis is about 500 yards from us.  There is quite a bit of a swell heaving in now, ship rolls from side to side.

Thetis being towed by Imogene

Saturday, April 7
Morning somewhat brighter, fog lifted considerably but not right clear.  Rang up stand (?) by 4 a.m. and then 4:30 again and made preparation to take Thetis in tow again.  Steamed down alongside of her and threw aboard the heaving line for hauling the cable aboard, which was done, but unfortunately, before it was made fast, the ship went ahead and broke the line holding the cable, and a dory had to be lowered to get the cable again.  We commenced towing 5 a.m. at half speed in water and narrow string of ice.  The Imogene steaming at half speed can tow the Thetis eight knots.  Everyone now is on lookout, expecting to see land any minute.  Last night some said they saw a light.  Sighted land 8:45 a.m. about two miles away.  Thought at first it was Torbay Head, but later found it out to be Baccalieu.  The first land we sighted since we left St. John’s March 7, just one month.  Baccalieu was the last land we saw after leaving St. John’s.  Cape St. Francis abeam.  11:40 a.m. WNW steering S by W 1/2 (?).  Expecting to reach St. John’s 2:30 p.m.  I then went and gathered all my things together and tidied myself for going ashore.  We sighted Signal Hill 2:30.  Stopped and took in our big cable from Thetis and put out a 6 inch line with other cable.  Broke cable and had to make fast again.  When we were going in the Narrows a schooner was coming out.  The captain blew the siren several times in quick succession for the schooner to turn back, but she came on.  Later we found out that the schooner had an engine.  We steamed in the Narrows with Thetis in tow 2:45 p.m. with our siren sending forth ear-splitting roars and ship all decked off with the international code of signals.  The ship anchored in the harbour.  Several boats came off from shore.  I got ashore in one for 10 cents.  Met Mrs. Blackwood and Cluney first thing on street and got a letter from Pat, and then went to GPO and sent a message to Mom.  Then went to Aunty Flo’s for a while, then went to Edna’s and had lunch and went down, got aboard Imogene again and got some flippers and brought ashore to Edna’s.  Then had a good bath and had tea and was telling of my experiences of seal fishing.  Then went downtown and bought a shirt.  Saw several fellows from home, and got back to Edna’s 9:30 p.m.  Uncle Leander [Noble] was there.  Went to bed 11 p.m.

Sunday, April 8
Got up 10:45 a.m. after a good night’s rest and finished writing a letter to Mom, and telling Fred of my experiences, as he was interested.  After dinner I started to write a letter to Betty.  Stayed in all the evening, it being very wet.  It cleared up about 5 p.m. and I went to Wesley Church in the night.  Met Captain George Bishop on my way there and went with him to the church.  There were two musicians performing at Wesley from Scotland, they were certainly wonderful.  After church it was raining, and I went to Aunt Martha’s and had supper.  Captain and Mrs. Blackwood were there, and several others. I left there 10:30 p.m. and went back to Edna’s for the night.

Monday, April 9
Got up 8 a.m. thinking that the Imogene would soon pull in to the wharf, was in a hurry.  After breakfast I went down and posted Mom’s letter, met Corney [Cornelius] Winsor and asked him if Captain Blackwood was gone on board.  He was not, so I went up to Aunty Flo’s, then to Aunt Martha’s, and found out from the captain when the ship would pull in alongside.  Went down to Aunty Flo’s, finished writing a letter to Betty.  I then went down to Bowring’s wharf where I managed to get aboard of Imogene in a dory 10:30. Captain Blackwood came on board 11 a.m.  Ship didn’t get in to wharf until 3 p.m.  We were unable to discharge any this evening, owing to the Eagle’s seals still lying on the wharf.  I then went up to the railway station to see the crew of the Eagle leaving for their homes, went back on board of Imogene again for tea, and left again 6:30 p.m. to go over to Aunty Flo’s.  Just as I came up from the wharf, a man in a taxi asked me to jump in with him if I was going over on the north side, so I got in and he drove me right to Aunty Flo’s.  He was a fine man by the name of Brown, first cousin to K. M. Brown of Kings Cove District.  Stayed at Aunty Flo’s until 8:45 p.m., then went down to Edna’s for the night.

Tuesday, April 10
Went down to Ayre and Sons this morning to see Mr. Bernt.  He was busy.  I waited some time for him, then had a friendly chat with him, gave him the outline of the radio course I am taking.  He then had me in the transmitting room where the transmitter was and where he did most of his repair work.  He then left me with the man who does all the radio repair work.  This man showed me how the transmitter worked, and the various test equipment he had there.  I got back to Edna’s to dinner 1:30 p.m., had flippers for dinner.  After dinner I was talking with Fred until 3:15, then I commenced to write a letter.  I left the house 4:50 p.m. and went up to the dry dock, where George Blackwood had his schooner.  Met Bill Wornell this evening.  I was on board of George’s schooner for a while, then left dock 6 p.m. and went to Aunty Flo’s to tea.  Again had flippers.  Fixed ground wire of radio there.  I then left 7:50 and went down to Edna’s before going on board Imogene for the night.  Left Edna’s 8:15 p.m. and walked over on board the Imogene in half hour.  Had a lunch on board, then went up on bridge of ship and had a good view of the city while it was all lit up.  Most everyone is gone ashore, some are in the cabin playing cards.  I went through the seal factory tonight, looking at the machinery and the various methods used in cleaning the skins, etc.  Everything was very greasy, and slippery fat was in large tanks and running through chutes to other tanks.

Wednesday, April 11
Got up 5:15 this morning, had a cup of coffee and started to work cutting out flippers.  Had breakfast 8 am, and 9 a.m. after breakfast I started to work on the wharf, arranging seals for the gig, we would have every hour, i.e. one hour on and one off.  I was working there all day and finished work 5 p.m.  It was half holiday today, and several people were around watching the seals being landed.  There was a great craze for flippers today.  When they were shared among the crew in evening, each man received 3 dozen.  I sold 2 1/2 dozen and brought half dozen over to Aunty Flo’s.  Met Uncle Edgar on way over.  The seals we were handling today were frozen, and hard to get flippers out, although we got 14,500 out in two days.  Seals are averaging about 50 lbs.

Thursday, April 12
It was 11:15 a.m. before we went out anywhere.  I then went down Water Street and went into Model Shop to look over some clothes there, met Mr. Noseworthy and had a chat with him.  Then left and went uptown, bought two rolls of Kodak film and gave them to Ben Andrews to give Patricia, Ben being going out on the evening express.  I then went back to Edna’s for dinner.  About 3 o’clock I went downtown and posted some letters, and then went to see the manager of the Hudson Bay Company on some business.  I then went over on board of Imogene to get something I had left on board.  After leaving Imogene I went up to the railway station, where the crew of Neptune were just leaving for home.  After the train had pulled out I went up to John Budden’s for a while and got Clifford’s overcoat, as I was getting mine cleaned at Cousin’s.  I left there and went back to Edna’s to tea, left Edna’s 8 o’clock and went up to Aunty Flo’s before going over on board of Imogene.  Left Aunty Flo’s 9 p.m. to go on board for the night.  Met Mr. Smallwood today, the man that is trying to form a union in Newfoundland.

Friday, April 13
Got up 5 a.m, had lunch and started work 6 a.m. heaving seals in gig.  Worked hour shifts all day, got out 7,500 today, seals averaging 48 1/2 lbs.  Flippers were shared in evening and each man got four dozen.  I sold mine as soon as I got them.  I then got ready and went over to Aunty Flo’s, taking half a dozen flippers sent by Eg Winsor.  Left Aunty Flo’s 9:15 p.m. and went down to Edna’s for the night.  Heard the news today that the Beothic was being called in Tuesday.

Saturday, April 14
It was late before I went out anywhere.  I started writing a letter to Mom.  I then left and went over on board of Imogene and stayed on board for dinner, and gathered up my clothes, etc.  I then left and came over and went into the Model Shop with a friend, then went down to Ayres wharf, where the American ice patrol boat, the General Green was, a very classy yacht indeed.  I then came back to Edna’s to tea and stayed in all night, writing and talking.  Received a letter from Mom and Pop and one from Red Wing Company today.

Sunday, April 15
Morning a bit colder, stayed in and listened to sermon on radio.  Had dinner at Edna’s and went up to Aunty Flo’s in evening, stayed to tea and went to Gower Street Church with Madeline.  Then went back to Aunty Flo’s for a while, then went back to Edna’s, changed my clothes and went on board of Imogene for the night.  It was cold all day, with scattered snow flurries.

Monday, April 16
Got up 5 a.m., had lunch and started work 6 a.m., throwing seals in gig.  Worked on hour shifts all day.  The weather was clear and fine.  I went down on board of Ungava 7 a.m.  She arrived 1:30 a.m.  I was talking to Leonard Winsor for a while.  Finished work 5 p.m., about 44,000 seals out.  Bothersome flippers were shared 6 p.m.  Each man’s share today was 3 1/2 dozen.  I sold 2 dozen…??  After tea I packed up my clothes bag and took it up to Emma’s, stayed thee a while, had a game and went back to Edna’s for the night.

Tuesday, April 17
Morning fair and fine.  Went off this morning to get a stern plate made for the boat, went to Pippy’s, then to dock where I got it made.  I then took it down on board of George Blackwood’s schooner, then went into Bowring’s for some galvanized chain 3/8 inch.  They had none.  Then went back to Edna’s for dinner.  After dinner I went down to freight office and got my catalogue of Red Wing, and went up to Captain Mark Roberts.  He was out.  I then came down and went on board of George Blackwood’s schooner for a while, then went into Model Shop, got a suit of clothes to try.  After that I went on board Imogene to tea.  Sirens blew 5:30, signalling “all seals out”, 52,000.  Packed up remainder of clothes, took suitcase up to Emma Budden’s, then went in to Captain Roberts again; he was out.  I then came back to Aunty Flo’s, where I stayed until 10:30, then went back to Edna’s for the night.

Wednesday, April 18
Got up 7:15 and went over on board of Imogene to get my boots.  Just reached there before she pulled out from wharf.  I then waited a while for a boat, but none came, so I went over to Emma Budden’s with my boots and had breakfast there.  I then went down on board of Earl of Devon, then to Bowring’s and then to Edna’s for to change my coat and rubbers.  I then went down to Bowring’s, where I was paid off 12 p.m., $104.50.  Went to put $80.00 in Bank of Nova Scotia.  Went to Acadia Company and bought two stuffing box screws, 5 1/2 x 1/2 inch, $1.30, bought Popular Mechanics at Ayre and Sons.  Went back to Edna’s for dinner, stayed on for most of evening writing letter to Mom and having a bath.  Went up to Aunt Martha’s to see Edward Black and he was gone out.  Came back to Edna’s to tea.  After tea I went up to Casino Theatre to a naval play, “The Middle Watch”.  It was a very thrilling play from start to finish.  Got out 11:15 p.m., went to Aunt Martha’s, met Eric Bishop and gave him some letters for home, then went back to Edna’s for the night.

Thursday, April 19
Didn’t go out anywhere this morning.  Took Fred’s radio phonograph apart and had a look at it, and spent remainder of time reading Popular Mechanics.  After dinner, went downtown to Acadia Company to get bearing for shaft.  The Beothic was expected in 4 o’clock, and sure enough, 4 p.m. she came through the Narrows.  I went over on the south side and went on board, saw Clifford.  Then went to GPO and wired Mother, then went up to Emma’s and told her Clifford had arrived, and went over and met Cliff coming over.  We then went up to Emma’s, where we had tea.  After tea we went down to Aunty Flo’s for a while, then we went down to Edna’s.  I was into Kodak store today to get some negatives developed.

Friday, April 20
Went downtown this morning and met Mr. Thistle of Canada Life, had a talk with him.  Then went into Ayre and Sons and bought magazine Science and Mechanics and tube of glue.  Then went to Aunty Flo’s for dinner, stayed there until 3 p.m., then went into Baird’s to get a suit of clothes.  Then went into Noseworthy’s to get an intermediate bearing for shaft; couldn’t get one.  So I then went to E. F. Barnes, Machinist, and got one suitable.  Left it there for to get a grease cup attached.  I then came back to Edna’s for something and then went to Kodak store and got snaps.  Went over on board of Beothic and had tea.  Big fight on wharf for a while.  Cliff and myself then went up to Emma’s with dozen flippers.  Stayed there, listened to Hon. Captain Kean’s address over VONF on seal fishery.  We then went down to Aunt Martha’s, where we stayed until 11:30.  I then went back to Edna’s and Clifford went up to Emma’s for the night.  Night wet and foggy.

Saturday, April 21
Went downtown this morning, met Mr. Harry Howlett and Job Barbour, was talking to them for a while, then went up to E. F. Barnes to get an intermediate shaft bearing, $3.00.  I then went up to Emma Buddens and waited for Clifford.  We both went downtown for a while and then went back to Emma’s to dinner.  After dinner we went down to Baird’s.  I bought a suit of clothes and Cliff bargained for a suit and leather coat.  I went back to Edna’s with my suit, and Cliff went and got his hair cut and joined me again at Edna’s.  We stayed there for a while and then called on Neta for a while.  We then went down to waterfront and went on board of Nova Scotia.  The first impression we got was cleanliness.  Cliff then went back to Emma’s and I went to Edna’s.  After tea I went down on Water Street, had a walk with some fellows I knew and got a pair of socks.  Then I went to Aunty Flo’s for a while, had a college magazine from Madeline and went back to Edna’s for the night.

Sunday, April 22
Stayed in all the morning.  After dinner Golda and myself went up on Signal Hill.  The evening was fine but became foggy towards 6 p.m.  After tea I went up to Aunty Flo’s.  Cliff was there, so we both left and went up to George Street United Church, where a gorgeous (?) service was held.  The Governor and Lady Anderson presided, and Dr. Hunter, vice-president of Memorial College, gave a lengthy address on St. George and the dragon.  We got out 9:45 p.m.  I then went up to Emma Budden’s with Cliff for a while.  I then left and came back to Edna’s for the night.  Met Aunt Martha, Cluney and Mrs. Blackwood on the way.

Monday, April 23
Whole holiday.  Stayed in all the morning, went down to Neta’s after dinner.  Then went down to Job Brothers Limited to see Captain Mark Roberts on board of his schooner.  I was talking to him for a while, then went up to Monroe’s where Jabez Winsor was with his schooner.  Met Leonard Winsor and Uncle Edgar there.  Leonard and myself then went up to railway station, where the train was just about to leave.  Cluney and Mrs. Blackwood were leaving for home.  Leonard and myself then went aboard of Jabez’s schooner, Frank H. Adams, again.  I asked Jabez for a passage home, he gave it to me.  I then went back to Edna’s to tea and stayed there until 9 p.m.  Then I went up to Aunty Flo’s and stayed there until 11:15, when I went back to Edna’s for the night.  Neta and Harold are staying here tonight.

Tuesday, April 24
Went down to Bank of Nova Scotia and got $30.00 and then went to Ayres and bought a hat for myself.  Then went up to Aunty Flo’s for something and went down again to Ayres and bought an automatic pen and pencil.  I then went to Halley and Company in connection with radio work.  I then went up to Emma’s to dinner.  After dinner I went down to Mrs. Wornell’s, then went back to Ayres and changed my hat for a larger size.  I then went to Edna’s and made an appointment to see her at Steers Limited at 4 o’clock.  I then went into Garland’s bookstore for charts and Newfoundland and Labrador pilot book.  Met Cliff and we both walked up street.  Cliff then left and went downtown and I waited for Edna.  She arrived 4:15 and we both went into Steers Limited to get a dress for Pat.  I then went up to Aunty Flo’s to tea.  After tea I went up to Aunt Martha’s and I stayed a while.  Alicia and myself then went down to Aunty Flo’s and stayed there until 10 o’clock, then went back to Aunt Martha’s with Alicia.  Clifford and Mrs. Wornell were there.  We all had supper there and  I left 10:30 p.m. and went back to Edna’s for the night.

Wednesday, April 25
Went down to Fred’s office to find out the best place to get mattresses made.  He directed me to J. J. Henley, so I went there and found out all particulars regarding such.  I then went down to the Model Shop and then to Aunty Flo’s, and then downtown again and back to Edna’s to dinner.  Phoned Captain Mark Roberts dinnertime and made an appointment with him.  After dinner I went to Model Shop and got pair of pants for Herbert.  Brought them to Aunty Flo’s.  Went downtown and met Aunty Gert and Jen, went into Baird’s and paid for Pat’s dress, went into Mr. Doyle’s and John Barrow, Duley’s (?), Murphy’s and Dicks and Co. Then went up to dry dock where Caribou and Portia were undergoing repairs.  Was on board of M.S. Lutzen, just having a heavy duty 6 cylinder Fairbanks Morse diesel installed.  I went up to Emma’s to tea and then went in to Captain Mark Roberts, Freshwater Road, got back to Emma’s 8 p.m.  Picked up my clothes, and Cliff and myself took it down aboard of Frank H. Adams.  Stayed there until 10:20 p.m., then went up to Aunty Flo’s, had supper and went back to Edna’s for night 11 p.m.

Thursday, April 26
Went down to Royal Stores Limited to get folding table; they were out of stock.  Then went up to Emma’s, met Uncle Edgar and [James? Samuel?] Roberts, then met Abe Stanford on the way.  Cliff, Abe and myself had our snapshot taken.  Went down with Cliff to Kodak store, then went to Edna’s to dinner.  After dinner went down to Marine Agencies Limited, then to Dicks and Company and got some stationery.  Then went back to Edna’s and wrote letter to Atlas.  Went up to railway station and posted it on train.  Went down to dock and then down to Monroe’s wharf, where Captain Abe Winsor was in M.S. Hero.  Then went down to Gerald S. Doyle’s, had a talk with him, he wanted me to come into his home.  I then went back to Edna’s to tea, and after tea went up to Aunty Flo’s.  Left there to go down aboard of Hero.  Met Cliff and we walked down the street and then went on board of Hero.  I stayed there until 10:30 and Cliff stayed there all night.  I then went up to Edna’s for the night.

Friday, April 27
Edna and myself went downtown this morning and went into several stores on Water Street to try to select a coat for Mom.  Got one at Premier Garment and I took it up to Aunty Flo’s to see what they thought of it, stayed there to dinner.  After dinner went down to Edna and got some of my parcels and brought them on board of F. H. Adams.  Then went to bank and got $15.00 and went back to Edna’s and got her to go downtown again with me.  Then went to Aunty Flo’s and took coat back and got a size larger, then took my parcels on board of schooner.  Met Mr. Thistle and Captain Peter Winsor, then went down to Fred’s office and got him to go with me and get a bottle of spirits for Grandfather.  Took bottle to Fred’s and then went down to Job Brothers and got a spark plug and a ___ of piping, they had none.  Then went to Model Shop and Baird’s to see if I could get combination overalls.  Then went to barber shop to get haircut.  He was busy, so I told him I would call again.  Had tea at Edna’s and then went down to barber shop and got haircut.  When I went back to Edna’s they told me that Cliff rang up, saying that schooner was pulling out from wharf, so I caught suitcase and bottle, rushed up to Monroe’s and just caught schooner by Cliff taking me off in boat.  Schooner was underway.  Went through Narrows 8 p.m.  Good time along.  Turned in 9 o’clock, got up 12 midnight and turned in again 12:30, didn’t get any sleep.  Ran into fog crossing Trinity Bay. 

Saturday, April 28
Cape Bonavista abeam 5:30 a.m.  Came in foggy again.  Heard Greenspond horn 8:20 and sighted Puffin Island 9:20 a.m.  Then sighted Shag Rock and Bennett’s Low Island and went into Wesleyville and anchored 10:30 a.m.  Got on shore by 11:15.  Tidied myself and went visiting my friends.  Was up to Blackwood’s in night.

Sunday, April 29
Went to Sunday school in evening and had a walk with Mr. Abbott after school, and went to church in night.  Had a talk with Uncle Peter, came home for a while after church.  Benny Winsor and his bride were there.  I then went up to Betty’s for a while.

Monday, April 30/34
Repaired Mianus engine house.

January 8/35
Very good skating on the harbour.  Carmen Winsor went on some bad ice and broke through.  I rushed aboard of Miss Red Wing, climbed mast and cut rope from it, and rushed to his aid.  By lying flat on ice and holding on to each other’s legs, I threw the rope to him and got him out.


Get the latest information on Greenspond Historical Society news, projects, funding, volunteer opportunities, and more!