Lloyd Hann: 1939 LOG/DIARY  – Miss Red Wing chartered to Lee Wulff.  Crew Ammon Wicks. Charter party also included Mr. Bauer, and assistant Peter Petipas.

June 27/39
From Cape Amherst to Cape Spear, steer SSE 3 ¾ miles outside of Harries Rock, then alter course SW ½ W.  Cape Race abeam 7:15.  Wind E.  Cape Pine abeam 10:00 p.m.  Put out log.  Self and Lee on watch.  12:00 midnight 15 ¾ miles on log.  Wind NE.  Good visibility.  Bauer and Wicks taking over watch.  Running 1200 rpm.

June 28
Cape St. Mary’s light abeam 2:15 a.m.  Wind on beam crossing Placentia Bay, moderate.  Sighted land about 6:00.  Burin Island lighthouse abeam 8:00.  Stopped at Burin Bay 8:15.  Left 8:50, went over Burin Harbour, took on board 70 gal. Esso gas (Hollett Sons and Company Limited).  Left Burin 10:35, weather clear, fine.  Engine running 1300, wind SE.  Steered course from Farewell Head 70 degrees.  Altered course N x E ½ E after clearing all shoals.  Green Island abeam 4:30 p.m.  Revenue cutter Point May came alongside 6:00 p.m. and examined our papers.  Sighted Pass Island light 7:30 p.m.  Calm, smooth sea, clear.  Sunset 9:10.  Changed course E ¼ S.  Arrived Gaultois 11:30, tied up Thos. Garland’s wharf. 

June 29
Took on board 45 gal. gas.  Left 9:30 a.m. for Conne River.  Stopped once to investigate a ripple, probably salmon.  Arrived St. Alban’s 12:30.  Weather clear, fine, hot.  Remained St. Alban’s until 7:30 p.m. when guide came aboard to take us upriver.  Anchored upriver in 1 ½ feet water.  Line ashore, anchor out.  During night on falling tide, boat swung toward river bank and grounded. 

Lee Wulff, Conne River, 1938

June 30
About 3:00 a.m. boat heeled over and rested on level sandy bottom.  I got out and inspected propeller and stuffing box.  One prop blade was slightly bent on top, caused by striking rudder June 10 at Brookfield.  Boat floated as soon as tide came in morning.  Wulff, Bauer and self set out 9:30 a.m.  in dink with outboard, went upriver, then took guide and walked three miles to salmon pools.  Mr. W. caught four, while B took picture of same.  Returned to boat 10:15, left immediately.  Came over on bar and anchored at Milltown 11:00 p.m.

July 1
Left Milltown 3:45 a.m., ran slow until 4:00 a.m.  Passed Roti light 4:50 a.m.  Wind SW, dense fog.  Fog cleared until we were abeam Saddle Island, when it settled down again, dense.  Put out log 7:30 a.m.  Steering WNW.  Moderate wind, short swell, outrigger poles swinging wild.  Spoke to two men in a dory, asked them our approximate position.  They informed due north about three miles of Dragon Point.  Crossed another dory, they informed us we were then three miles off Frenchway (?) Point (heard fog alarm).  First land sighted was Distress Point, two miles E of Cape la Hune.  Reset log 11:30, distance gone 28 miles.  Cape la Hune abeam 11:35.  Set log 0.  Steering WNW ½ N.  Glencoe crossed us 11:45 a.m.  Mr. Wulff took wheel, and I lay down about two hours, first time since 3:00 a.m. being off watch.  1:45 I again took wheel.  Half mile to go, according to log, before reaching Ramea.  Sighted land 2:00 p.m.  Fog very dense, impossible pick up harbour entrance, running very slow among rocks and islands.  Log now taken in, reading 19 ¾.  A man in a dory saw us and came aboard and piloted us in Ramea Harbour.  Tied up to Penney’s wharf, took on board 20 gal. premier gas.  Refilled water tank.

Sunday, July 2
Fog lifted somewhat, left for White Bear River 6:45, passed point 6:55.  Set log.  Wind SE.  Hauled in log at entrance of White Bear Bay, reading four miles.  Anchored in 1 ½ fathom water 9:00 a.m. White Bear River.

Monday, July 3
Stayed White Bear River all day, changed oil and replaced oil filter.  Foggy outside all day.  Lee and Bauer came from river 10:20 p.m.

Tuesday, July 4
Got up 4:30 a.m.  Wulff was undecided whether to go on or remain another day.  Turned in again.  Wulff decided to leave about 10:30 a.m. because weather not fine enough for pictures.  Wind NW White Bear Bay.  Stopped engine at mouth of bay to check oil filter.  Passed White Island 11:55 a.m.  Set log.  Wind SSE.  Steering W x N.  Changed course W ½ N, then W ½ S to compensate for tidal drift.
1:15 p.m. sighted school of killer whales and chased them for 25 minutes, getting snaps.  Miffel Island abeam 1:35.  Reset log 0 (distance run 12 miles).  Course WNW for 16 miles, then WNW ½ N.  Visibility about four miles, wind variable.  6:15 fog set in, very dense.  Hauled in NW for Rose Blanche, heard horn right ahead.  Entered harbour, tied to government wharf 7:00 p.m.

Wednesday, July 5
Left Rose Blanche 8:30 a.m. for Garia Bay River, 15 miles E.  Ranger Christian came with us.  Went into Hatchers Cove, got a pilot to take us past reef of shoals.  Proceeded on up to salmon river, anchored in two fathoms, 10:30.  Dense fog until 8:00 a.m.  Wind S.  Cleared 8:30, visibility seven miles.  Fair weather all day in bay.  Scattered showers.

Thursday, July 6
Hove up anchor and moved about another mile upriver, and anchored in two fathoms water.  Wind NE, clear and fine all day.  Spent all day upriver with party taking movies of salmon, etc.

Friday, July 7
Wind SE, dense fog and drizzle rain all day.  Party stayed aboard all day.  No pictures owing to lack of sunshine.

Saturday, July 8
Wind S, dense fog until 10:00 a.m. it cleared and sun shone out.  Mr. Wulff and Bauer took movies of each other washing, etc., on deck of boat.  At 11:30 they left for trip upriver, while I took pictures of them leaving.  Ammon and myself then took boat down to Shell Bird Cove to deep water anchorage.  Refilled water tank, checked valve springs, cleaned carb, checked shaft coupling.  Towards evening low fog began coming in and gradually settled down dense.  Party came back 8:30 p.m. and wanted to go down to Farmer’s Brook.  I didn’t think it advisable but took boat to another anchorage about mile down bay.  Anchored in 3 ½ fathoms 8:55, 10 fathoms chain out.  Wind S, dense fog, barometer 29.70.  10:15 p.m. heavy thunder and lightning storm with rain, lasted about one hour, then cleared.

Sunday, July 9
Wind SE, dense fog and drizzle rain until 11:00 a.m. when it cleared somewhat.  Listened to church service from Philadelphia area.  Barometer reading 11:00 a.m. 29.50.  Left anchorage 12:20 p.m., visibility about one mile.  Anchored again 12:50.  Mr. Wulff and ranger went off in dinghy to Farmer’s Arm to get warden to come out to pilot us in the arm.  They returned about 2:15 with warden.  We then left and went into arm, took warden’s boat in tow and headed to Rose Blanche.  Fog now dense, 3:00 p.m.  About 3:30 wind changed W, fog cleared, wind increased, big lop.  Arrived Rose Blanche 4:30 p.m.  Listened to Sydney church services.  Took on board 30 gal. gas.  Wind NW, barometer reading 29.72, 11:00 p.m.

Monday, July 10
6:00 a.m. barometer 29.88.  Left Rose Blanche 6:15 a.m.  Took two men and a dory, ranger Christian, his wife, and a nurse.  Destination Farmer’s Brook, to take movies of fishing scenes.  Stopped at Hatcher’s Cove, took pictures of men handling lobster pots, then proceeded on to Farmer’s Brook.  Stopped there 9:00 a.m.  Party went ashore, Ammon and I stayed aboard.  Fitted new bearing on shaft, ran out for to buy bearing and to get bearing of different ____ in case of fog.  Had swim before dinner.  At 2:00 p.m. party came back and we left for Garia Bay.  Arrived there 3:30, anchored, and party went upriver.  I rigged up flying bridge.  Ammon cut my hair.  Party returned from river 9:05.  Left immediately for Rose Blanche.  Arrived there 11:00 p.m.  Wind S, poor visibility, barometer 29.92.  12:00 midnight foggy.

Tuesday, July 11
9:00 a.m. barometer 29.90, 10:20 a.m. barometer 29.82.  Wind SE, foggy.  Left Rose Blanche 1:30 p.m.  Set log at Camp (?) Island.  Foggy.  Steered SW x S 1 ½ miles, then changed course WNW.  Sighted large killer whale 2:15 and chased it for 45 minutes, but could not get near enough to harpoon.  Then proceeded on course W x N.  Arrived Port aux Basques 4:15, tied up Pike’s wharf.  Went out to Imperial Oil Limited and took on board 113 gal. Esso.  Left again 9:20 for Serpentine River.  Wind SE, fog.  Ran two miles off from Chain (?) Head on a SW x W x ½ W course, then steered NW ½ N for 8 ½ miles (fog cleared), then steered to Cape Anguille.  Cape Anguille abeam 1:00 p.m.  Course NE x N. 

Wednesday, July 12
Ammon and Bauer took watch 1:00 a.m.  2:00 wind changed W, and by 3:00 dense fog had set in.  Set log zero.  Cape Anguille distance of 40 miles run.  Changed course E x N and ran for 34 miles, dense fog all time.  After 74 miles run, changed course SE x S, ran nine miles, then changed course SE and made right into mouth of Serpentine River 1:30, after six miles on SE.  Wulff and self went ashore in dinghy and made arrangements with warden to fish.  Wulff decided not to fish there, and we left for Corner Brook 3:30 p.m., arrived there 8:00 p.m., tied up Clarke Steamship wharf.

Serpentine River, Lee Wulff 1938

July 13
Went down Curling to Imperial Oil, took on board 88 gal. Esso.  Came back Clarke Steamship wharf.

July 14, 15, 16
Remained at Corner Brook all day.  Cleaned up and rigged up the outrigger poles.

July 17
Corner Brook all day.  HMS Berwick came in today and anchored off Bowater pier.  We moved to Bowater pier 4:00 p.m.

July 18
Went down to Curling 8:30 a.m., landed at A. M. Dunphy wharf.  Returned Corner Brook 10:00 a.m.  HMS Berwick had one of her seaplanes up and several launches out.  We took pictures of ship.  We were honoured today to have on board Flag Lieut. Laurence of HMS Berwick.  We went out around harbour and demonstrated how outriggers worked.  Landed him and captain (Bowater Lloyds).  Then went down to Curling 5:30 p.m.  Returned Corner Brook again 6:30.  Wind NW, variable.

July 19
Moved boat to east end of Bowater pier this a.m. 5:30 to make room for Fort Amherst to come along side.  Calm all morning.  Washed around side of boat.  Wind sprang up NW 3:00 p.m. and blew fair.  Mr. Bauer took pictures of boat moving out, and we then left for Lark Harbour 5:00 p.m.  Stopped at Petipas (?) Cove few minutes.  Fort Amherst came past 6:15, we took picture.  Arrived Lark Harbour, anchored 8:15 p.m.  Barometer 30.5 10:00 p.m.

July 20
Left Lark Harbour 7:15 a.m.  Wind NW, foggy.  Set log South Head 7:52.  Steered W ½ N two miles, then SW x W eight and a half miles, then SW x S ¼ for three and a half miles.  Fog cleared 9:00 a.m.  Anchored Serpentine River 9:45 a.m.  Barometer 30.12 1:00 p.m.  Mr. Wulff came aboard 1:00 p.m. with warden and boy, had lunch and went ashore again.  Left Serpentine River 2:30, for Lewis Brook, eight miles S.  Decided to return Lark Harbour 2:35.  Wind sprang up, NE, stiff breeze.  Arrived Lark Harbour, anchored 5:45.  Wind breezed up NE, blew hard all night.

July 21
Wind NE, drizzle, fog.  Barometer 29.84.  Left Lark Harbour 2:55 p.m.  Wind NE, visibility five miles.  Set log Tortoise Point, ran eight miles by log, then hauled it in, anchored at Crabbe’s Brook 4:40 p.m.  Changed oil.

July 22
Wind breezed up and shifted SW toward early morning, quite a lop hove in, we had to leave 4:00 a.m. and went up under North Arm Point, anchored there 5:00 a.m., three fathoms.  12:00 noon left again. Trolled bait for outriggers up to bottom of North Arm.  Anchored 1:30 p.m., had first ___  ___.  Barometer 29.90, wind SW

July 23
Barometer 29.85, wind SW, blowing stiff breeze, clear and fine.  Anchored under lee of point all day.  Mr. Wulff and Petipas fixing outriggers.  Bauer and Petipas were jigging in morning, got 18 cod.  Got piece of oak and fixed wheel on flying bridge.  About 8:30 heaved up anchor, set two baits out and trolled at four miles.  Around 11:00 a.m.  Anchored at Long Point just at sunset.  Wind light SW.

July 24
Started up about 8:00 a.m., headed for harbour Crabbe’s Brook.  Moderate and calm, saw two large humpback whales and tried to get near enough to harpoon.  Got within 15 feet and Bauer threw harpoon, but it fell short.  Gave up chase after few minutes and proceeded to Crabbe’s Brook.  Went ashore and got Mr. Joe White (Dandelion) to get his boat and come with us halibut catching.  Mr. White came and we went off about two miles from Galgay (?) Island, set trawl and started jigging.  Got several cod after  running trawl twice, got halibut, dogfish numerous. Northern Ranger passed down 1:30 p.m.  4:00 p.m. left for Trout River, trolled bait all way.  Arrived Trout River 4:45.  L.W., Bauer and Petipas went upriver.  Ammon and self and two men from shore took boat into a place called Hole.  I painted boat ____ side white just by dink.  Decided to go outside again for fear of getting aground.  Got 18 gal. water.  Party came back 10:30.  Clear and fine.

Tuesday, July 25
Clear and fine.  L.W., Bauer and Petipas again went upriver.  Went ashore, got some wood.  Checked valve springs, carburetor, all okay.  General cleanup.  Wind veered NE noon.  Party came back 8:45.  Left immediately for B.B.  Trolled bait all way.  Arrived there 11:00 p.m., tied up to Bryant Harding wharf. 

July 26
Did some cleaning up, painted stemming strake around boat.  L.W. and Petipas worked on outriggers.  About 3:00 p.m. left and went up East Arm to Lomond, saw no tuna.  In evening a boat came alongside with visitors.  We anchored off Lomond wharf 10:30, then went ashore to cabin of man in charge of Morris (?) Export Company.  Beautiful fine day, clear and warm.
Strake: a continuous line of planking or plates from the stem to the stern of a ship or boat.

July 27
Day clear and fine.  Cruised back and forth bay all day, drifting.  Saw no tuna.  Came down Norris Point evening for bait.

July 28
Cruised and drifted around East Arm all day.  Saw no tuna until 8:15 p.m., when large school was sighted near Shag Cliff.  Got quite near them several times and threw bait but they would not take it.  Peter then threw four hook jiggers and hooked one.  Quite a rush followed.  L.W. rushed to chair, but unfortunately, steel leader broke.  It was then too late to see any more.  Went to Norris Point, took on 30 gal. gas and bait.

July 29
Cruised and drifted around all day, but saw no tuna but one school.  Wind NW, wind and rain occasionally all day.  Set and hauled beam trawl, with no success.  Came down Norris Point, got bait, went back, anchored Lomond 11:00 p.m.

Sunday, July 30
Morning bit dull.  Saw school tuna about 8:30 for few minutes, but not again for day.  Occasional drizzle, rain all day.  Came down Norris Point and East Arm.  Towards evening hauled beam trawl, no success.  Went back to Lomond 10:00 p.m., anchored.  Barometer 29.99.

July 31
Morning fair, saw tuna 8:00 a.m., got quite close to them several times, though had no success.  Came down Norris Point 3:00 p.m. for bait, took 25 gal. gas.  Cruised around West Arm and then back to Lomond.  Anchored in bottom of SE Arm 10:00 p.m.

August 1, 1939
Cruised and drifted around arm all day, occasionally clear and fine.  Mr. Harding brought 270 mackerel to us.  We began chumming, with all mackerel used.  Saw two schools tuna, no success.  Barometer falling, wind SW.  Barometer fell from 30.00 to 29.70.

August 2
Barometer dipped to 29.39, wind was NW and increased half gale, with rain and fog.  Spent most morning in SE Arm jigging, went over to Lomond 12:15 p.m.  Then drizzle until 2:30, when we again anchored in SE Arm.  Barometer began rising noon.  11:00 p.m. barometer 29.76.  Wind moderating.  No tuna.  Temperature 49 today.  Started and stopped engine 18 times today.

August 3
Barometer 29.70 a.m., 29.99 10:00 p.m. with wind NW.  Blowing hard.  Calm in morning until 11:00 a.m.  Moderate again 7:30.  Anchored in SE until 7:15, then went jigging, then to Lomond.  Loaded bait boxes (2), then off Tuckers Head drifted until 9:00 p.m.  Then back to SE, jigged a while, anchored 10:00 p.m.  Sky overcast, calm.  Started and stopped nine times today.

August 4
Wind SE, sky overcast, dull.  Barometer 29.99.  Turned out to be fair day.  Cruised and drifted around, went over to Lomond 12:30, just as North Star was pulling out.  Then went down Norris Point, took Mrs. Young and two children with us.  Took on 20 gal. of gas, posted mail, the cruised back to Lomond.  Put battery on shore at Morris (?) to get charged.  Then went over to SE Arm, anchored.  Got one of leaders caught in prop.  Mr. Bauer went overboard to clear it, succeeded in clearing it somewhat with his ____, in water approximately 25 minutes.  Then Lee W. went overboard, and after several dives and 45 minutes in water, he cleared it.  Calm 10:30, overcast, barometer 29.99.  Started and stopped 10 times today.


Get the latest information on Greenspond Historical Society news, projects, funding, volunteer opportunities, and more!